See What's New in Aptos
This page shows the key updates to the developer documentation on this site. Note, this site is built from the
main upstream branch of GitHub and so therefore reflects the latest changes to Aptos. If you have checked out another branch to use a specific network, the code may not yet have all of the features described here.
28 March 2023
- Offered an experimental feature to profile gas usage locally via the Aptos CLI that not only simulates use but also generates flame graphs for visualizing gas usage.
27 March 2023
- Described how to Use the Remix IDE Plugin to deploy and run Move modules on the Remix IDE, a graphical interface for developing Move modules written by 0xhsy of WELLDONE Studio.
24 March 2023
- Added instructions to Integrate with Aptos Names Service that offers developers a customizable button and modal to enable users to search for and mint Aptos names directly from their website.
23 March 2023
Included an Aptos Faucet integration section for SDK and wallet developers in the Integrate with the Aptos Blockchain system integrators guide.
Migrated the Aptos Move package upgrade documentation to a page in the Aptos Move Book.
21 March 2023
- Published beta Delegation Pool Operations instructions for validator operators, written by Raluca Popescu (dorinbwr ) of Bware Labs.
20 March 2023
- Ported the original Move Tutorial to Aptos tooling as the Move Primitives Tutorial.
19 March 2023
Published a tutorial on using the Aptos multi-signature (multisig) feature that introduces assorted K-of-N multi-signer authentication operations and employs scripts for the first time in Aptos documentation.
Find this tutorial - provided by alnoki - on the Community Highlights page.
16 March 2023
Added the ability to use Bytecode for Dependencies when compiling Move modules in cases where the Move source code for those dependencies are not available locally.
Enabled Move test-coverage details in the Aptos CLI to help find and fix missing tests.
15 March 2023
- Published a PowerShell script to streamline the Aptos development environment setup process on Windows. The script uses WinGet (Microsoft’s official package manager, included in Windows 10 and 11 by default) to install the necessary dependencies and keep them up-to-date.
14 March 2023
Linked to six new External Resources for node operators:
- Ansible playbook for Node Management (Bare Metal) - This Ansible Playbook is for the initialization, configuration, planned and hotfix upgrades of Aptos Validators, VFNs and PFNs on bare metal servers, by RHINO.
- Ansible playbook for Node Management (Docker) - This Ansible Playbook is intended for node management, including initial launch and handling upgrades of nodes, by [Lavender.Five Nodes].
- Aptos Staking Dashboard · Repo - A dashboard to monitor your Aptos validator performance, view network stats, or request delegation commissions, by Paymagic Labs.
- Aptos Validator/Staking Postman Collection - A Postman collection for querying staking pool, staking contract, and account resources/events, by pakaplace.
- One-stop solution for Aptos node monitoring | A monitoring solution for Aptos nodes utilizing Docker containers with Prometheus, Grafana, cAdvisor, NodeExporter, and alerting with AlertManager. by Lavender.Five Nodes.
- Monitor Your Aptos validator and validator fullnodes with Prometheus and Grafana - A full-featured Grafana/Prometheus dashboard to monitor key infrastructure, node, and chain-related metrics and data relationships, by RHINO.
08 March 2023
Added a Latest Releases section to the Start menu showing the newest, recommended version of each Aptos component (CLI, framework, and node) by network.
Released Aptos Node version 1.3.0 to testnet and a new version to devnet.
07 March 2023
Published documentation for the new Aptos Unity SDK highlighting its uses and explaining how to install it.
Launched a Community section of the site to enable more participation in the Aptos ecosystem. It contains these subpages:
- Community Highlights - exemplary contributions to Aptos and Aptos.dev from our community members.
- External Resources - useful, technical posts to the Aptos Forum or links to Aptos-related technologies documented elsewhere.
- Rust Coding Guidelines - the coding guidelines for the Aptos Core Rust codebase.
- Update Aptos.dev - Follow the instructions on this page to update Aptos.dev, the developer website for the Aptos blockchain.
- Follow Aptos Style - When making site updates, Aptos recommends adhering to this writing and formatting style guide for consistency with the rest of Aptos.dev.
01 March 2023
- Enhanced the Aptos TypeScript SDK to include IndexerClient and Provider classes. These new classes allow for querying the Aptos Indexer and using a single client to simultaneously query the indexer and retrieve account-related information, respectively.
23 February 2023
- Published the Move Book to the Move section of Aptos.dev from the
aptos-mainbranch of the Move Language repository for easy access and inclusion in search results.
22 February 2023
Resurrected the Move Debugger feature the Move Virtual Machine once included.
Made all links in Aptos.dev also work in the site source code by replacing absolute links with relative and adding the Markdown file extension.
17 February 2023
- Recommended specific paths for starting up an Aptos node via state synchronization depending upon node type and network.
14 February 2023
Added instructions for working with
PropertyMapoff-chain via the Aptos TypeScript SDK, enabling reading and writing of Binary Canonical Serialization (BCS) data in your app.
Provided an example of a token airdrop using the two-step transfer process.
31 January 2023
- Improved the new script for installing the Aptos CLI to always fetch the latest version and seamlessly apply updates.
30 January 2023
Released Aptos Node v1.2.4 to testnet with enhancements to state synchronization and features added for use of the Move programming language, including:
- New integer types (u16, u32, u256)
- View functions to evaluate transactions before execution
- Compile-time checks for transaction arguments
- Various updates to smart contracts
- Several Aptos Improvement Proposals (AIPs)
See the Aptos Releases list for many more details. This release will be available on mainnet soon.
Created an entirely new tutorial that covers building an end-to-end TODO list dapp, starting from the smart contract side through the front-end side and use of a wallet to interact with the two.
26 January 2023
- Developed and now recommend use of a script to automate installation of the Aptos command line interface (CLI) that works on Linux, macOS, Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL), and Windows NT.
25 January 2023
Split up the sidebars of Aptos.dev into one left navigation menu per topic to ease use. As part of this:
- Added top-level menu for Create NFTs section
- Renamed Measure Nodes section to Monitor Nodes
- Moved Node Liveness Criteria to the Monitor Nodes section
Added a new section Reading state with the View function explaining how to use the View function now available in devnet to test transactions without modifying blockchain state.
24 January 2023
- Added Mint NFT with Aptos CLI Move code lab describing the completely revised Mint NFT Move examples.
23 January 2023
Introduced a Create NFTs section in navigation that includes:
- a comparison of Aptos tokens with other blockchains
- instructions for minting fungible tokens with on-chain data
- installation instructions for a new web-based Aptos NFT Minting Tool
18 January 2023
Added a section explaining the nuances of batch signing to Create a Signed Transaction.
Enhanced validator node setup documentation to ensure operators first deploy the nodes, then connect to the Aptos network, and finally establish staking pool operations.
16 January 2023
- Documented how to create and fund accounts using the Petra Wallet and Aptos CLI.
12 January 2023
- Added Homebrew support for the Aptos CLI, enabling easy installation via the macOS, Linux, and WSL package manager.
11 January 2023
Greatly expanded the First Dapp tutorial to include a section on publishing the Move module using the TypeScript SDK, adds labels to output, improve the initialization for Petra wallet and the Aptos CLI, and more.
Noted in the Aptos Token Standard that limits exist to storing customized token properties on-chain, namely 1000 properties per token with field names limited to 128 characters.
Added examples for requesting staking commission to Staking Pool Operations.
10 January 2023
Explained in Validator cloud setup docs (AWS, Azure and GCP) how to check for and remove remaining Kubernetes volumes after changing the
erato reset a deployment's state.
Expanded support for other networks in Start Public Fullnode with Aptos Source or Docker by adding files and instructions for fullnodes in
testnet, as well as the default
Enhanced Run a Public Fullnode on GCP with details on fixing Terraform version mismatches, a link to the Docker image, and example output from
Added a Node types section to Node Networks and Synchronization describing the various forms of nodes supported by Aptos: validator nodes, public fullnodes, validator fullnodes, and archival nodes.
06 January 2023
- Added an Authors list to the bottom of every page on Aptos.dev giving credit to all contributors to the document, both within Aptos Labs and externally.
30 December 2022
Added Node Inspection Service document that explains how to access node metrics for validators and fullnodes and highlights key metrics for monitoring.
Added instructions for running archival nodes, specifically avoiding fast syncing and ledger pruning.
29 December 2022
- Improved Update Aptos Validator Node with a section on securely running multiple validator fullnodes (VFNs) plus links to Bootstrap Fullnode from Snapshot and state synchronization.
26 December 2022
- Restored and refined Bootstrap Fullnode from Snapshot to simplify and expedite Aptos fullnode starts in devnet and testnet environments.
23 December 2022
- Added instructions for manually installing build dependencies on Windows.
20 December 2022
- Added Formal Verification, the Move Language, and the Move Prover blog post from the community to the Supporting Move resources list.
14 December 2022
- Noted you may employ the Aptos Name Service to secure .apt domains for key accounts.
12 December 2022
- Released Node Health Checker web interface for evaluating fullnodes at: https://nodetools.aptosfoundation.org/#/node_checker
11 December 2022
aptos_governance::create_proposaland added information on Aptos Improvement Proposals (AIPs) and the Technical Implementation of Aptos Governance.
09 December 2022
- Added an Aptos Wallet Adapter overview and instructions for both dApp and wallet builders.
08 December 2022
Released aptos-node-v1.1.0 to mainnet:
Framework upgrade through governance voting:
- Testnet upgrade - Nov 30th
- Mainnet upgrade - Dec 12th - 19th (7 days voting period) required by fullnode operators
New features and enhancements:
- Added automatic chain-health based back pressure to improve reliability. Automatic slow-down (through max block size reduction) is triggered in some scenarios.
- Improved timeouts for state synchronization: (i) lower timeouts for optimistic fetch (to help reduce end-to-end latency); and (ii) exponential back-off for low-bandwidth nodes.
- Explicit error codes in resource account.
- Improved Leader Election (gated behind feature flag).
See these resources for more details on the release:
- #mainnet-release Discord channel for more detailed descriptions of the above changes.
- Aptos Releases list for all releases.
testnetbranch commits for the changes landing in mainnet today.
05 December 2022
- Moved recently pared down System Integrators Guide to Use the Aptos REST Read API.
- Resurrected last full version of the Aptos System Integrators Guide.
- Renamed System Integrators Guide to Integrate Aptos with Your Platform and updated it with our latest guidance.
02 December 2022
- Distributed a survey asking how we can make the Aptos developer experience better: https://aptos.typeform.com/dev-survey
29 November 2022
- Increased rate limits of https://indexer.mainnet.aptoslabs.com and https://fullnode.mainnet.aptoslabs.com to 1000 requests/5-minute interval by IP.
21 November 2022
- Added conceptual overviews for blocks and resources in Aptos, explaining how transactions are batched and resources relate to objects, respectively.
18 November 2022
- Increased Aptos Indexer rate limits from 300 requests per IP per hour to 400 requests every five minutes.
17 November 2022
- Published instructions for updating validator nodes by configuring and failing over to validator fullnode.
16 November 2022
Completely overhauled the navigation of Aptos.dev to better reflect our users and their feedback. Here are the highlights:
- Introduced new Start Aptos and Build Apps sections to contain information related to setup and app development, respectively.
- Shifted key concepts up in navigation, included the Aptos White Paper, moved nodes-related materials to the Run Nodes section, and gas-related pages to a new Build Apps > Write Move Smart Contracts section.
- Placed instructions for the Aptos CLI and other tools under Start Aptos > Set Environment.
- Recategorized previous Guides across several new subsections, including Build Apps > Develop Locally, Interact with Blockchain, and Run Nodes > Configure Nodes.
- Integrated the Aptos Node API specification, Issues and Workarounds and Aptos Glossary into a new Reference section.
12 November 2022
- Recommended performance improvements to validator source code startup instructions by suggesting building the
aptos-nodebinary and running it directly instead of using
09 November 2022
- Improved indexer fullnode setup instructions to standardize on one package manager and explain how to restart the database.
08 November 2022
- Published links to new auto-generated Move reference files for all available versions.
07 November 2022
- Created an Aptos tag on Stack Overflow and started populating it with common questions and answers.
04 November 2022
- Added a guide on Resource Accounts used by developers to publish modules and automatically sign transactions.
03 November 2022
- Added Aptos API reference files directly to Aptos.dev for easy access and clarified available information at various endpoints.
02 November 2022
- Created a #docs-feedback channel on Discord seeking input on Aptos.dev and taking action with updates to the documentation.
01 November 2022
- Expanded the previous Coin and Token documentation into the Aptos Token Standard with new field descriptions and more and moved it to the Getting Started section for greater visibility.
25 October 2022
- Replaced the outdated auto-generated Move docs formally located at
aptos-core/tree/framework-docswith new online versions now found at:
13 October 2022
- Added user documentation for Aptos Explorer to Aptos.dev covering common use cases and popular Explorer screen descriptions.
12 October 2022
- Added Node Connections document that describes how to configure node network connections.
11 October 2022
- Added Data Pruning document that describes how to change the data pruning settings.
10 October 2022
- Added Staking Pool Operations document.
07 October 2022
- Using the Petra Wallet covers common use cases of the Petra Wallet Chrome browser extension and can be found from Install Petra Extension on Aptos.dev.
06 October 2022
- Added Node Files document that lists all the files required during node deployment process. Includes commands to download each file.
05 October 2022
- Related Aptos resources (aptoslabs.com, Twitter, Discord, and more) can be found in the Have fun section of the Aptos.dev landing page.
03 October 2022
- How Base Gas Works describes the types of gas involved in Aptos transactions and offers optimizations for your use.
26 September 2022
- Installing Aptos CLI provides detailed guidance for all major operating systems: Linux, macOS, and Windows.
25 September 2022
- Transactions and States matches the Aptos Blockchain whitepaper in structure and content.
23 September 2022
- Gas and Transaction Fees contains sections on prioritizing your transaction, gas parameters set by governance, and examples for understanding account balances, transaction fees, and transaction amounts.
22 September 2022
The System Integrators Guide contains a section on tracking coin balance changes.
21 September 2022
When installing Aptos CLI, we recommend downloading the precompiled binary over building the CLI binary from the source code as less error prone and much easier to get started.
19 September 2022
When using the Aptos CLI to publish Move modules, we note multiple modules in one package must have the same account or publishing will fail at the transaction level.
16 September 2022
When connecting to Aptos Testnet, use the
testnet rather than
testnet-stable branch. See that document for the latest commit and Docker image tag.
15 September 2022
The hardware requirements for Aptos nodes have grown for both Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud.
13 September 2022
- A new guide describing how to deploy multiple validator nodes and validator fullnodes is posted.
12 September 2022
- A new set of documents on Aptos Coin and Token are posted.
- A new document describing how to bootstrap a new fullnode using data restore is posted.
06 September 2022
A new concept document explaining the State Synchronization is posted.
The Staking document is updated.
29 August 2022
- A new guide, Leaderboard Metrics, describing the Aptos Validator Status page is released.
25 August 2022
- A new guide describing Move Package Upgrades is posted.
24 August 2022
- The Korean language version of the Aptos White Paper is posted.
- Typescript and Rust are added to the first transaction tutorial.
- A new tutorial is added that shows how to use the Typescript SDK and Python SDKs to work with NFT. The tutorial covers topics such as creating your own collection, creating a token in that collection, and how to offer and claim that token.
16 August 2022
- A new tutorial showing how to create, submit and verify your first transaction using the Python SDK is posted.
11 August 2022
The Aptos White Paper is released.
A section explaining the network Port settings for the nodes connecting to an Aptos network is added.
08 August 2022
- A new document for the exploratory Move transactional testing is posted.
07 August 2022
- A new document for using the Aptos CLI to launch a local testnet is posted.
02 August 2022
- A new Guide for System Integrators is posted.