Coin and Token
For digital assets, Aptos provides two Move modules:
coin.move is a lightweight standard meant for simple, typesafe, and fungible assets. The coin standard is separated out into its own Move module to ensure that:
- The coin standard can be used to create a token with an emphasis on simplicity and performance and with minimal metadata.
- The coin module remains a part of the Aptos core framework and be used for currencies, for example the gas currency, thereby enhancing the core functionality of the Aptos framework.
See Aptos Coin >
token.move Move module, on the other hand:
- Encapsulates rich, flexible assets, fungible and nonfungible, and collectibles.
- The token standard is deployed as a separate package at the Aptos blockchain address
- The token standard is designed to create an NFT or a semi-fungible or a fungible non-decimal token, with rich metadata and functionalities. A token definition of this type can be iterated rapidly to respond to the platform and user requirements.
See Aptos Token >